“All farmers demand and access high quality agriculture extension and advisory services from those best able to provide them”.
To provide demand-driven agriculture extension and advisory services in partnership with civic, Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs), private, and Farmer Organisations and to promote equalization and coordination in service provision in order to achieve food, nutrition, and income security at both household and national levels.
To ensure provision of appropriate and quality agriculture extension and advisory services by all service providers for enhanced adoption of improved technologies and agriculture business management among clients and famers of all gender categories.
The core values for the Department include: transparency and accountability, honesty and diligence, impartiality, loyalty, integrity, objectivity, partnership, excellence, and professionalism.
- The Department of Agriculture Extension Services in Malawi has the following objectives
- To promote sound and professional management of agriculture extension programmes, projects and activities at different levels for improved agriculture productivity in Malawi.
- To promote innovative agriculture outreach systems, approaches, and techniques of engaging with farmers of different gender categories and agriculture stakeholders in Malawi.
- To improve levels of knowledge and skills of client mobilisation and engagement for different agriculture programmes, projects and activities among public and civil-society agriculture professionals at different levels in Malawi.
- To promote access to appropriate and up-to-date agriculture technology information, messages, and knowledge by farmers and other clients for informed decision-making at different levels in Malawi.
- To promote agribusiness development and management among smallholder and commercial farmers, Farmer Organisations, Non-Governmental Organisations and other agriculture value chain players.
- To promote nutrition sensitive agriculture production, and appropriate food processing and consumption practices in Malawi.
- To promote gender equality, prevent the spread of HIV and mitigate the impacts of AIDS in agriculture programmes, projects and activities in Malawi.
- To promote access to agriculture information, messages, and knowledge for informed decision-making among farmers of different scales and gender categories, public, NGO, and private agriculture extension officers and managers in Malawi.